Saturday, January 28, 2006

Getting away from it all...


I need to do that much more often. I'm realizing I let myself stay much too busy and don't give time for God to really speak to me. I'm not taking time to listen....but I need to.

This weekend, I'm at a College Getaway, way out in the middle of nowhere....deep in a forest in Mississippi. We're at a beautiful campground - the facilities are nice, the food is pretty good, the fellowship with all these athletes, coaches and fellow staff members is wonderful - I'm having a great time!

But today, I was walking around during our free time, going from activity to activity taking pictures, and the sound of the wind blowing through the tops of the trees just overwhelmed me. It was such a calming and soothing yet powerful and majestic sound. I could imagine the voice of God sounding something like that...there was such power in it because these huge pine trees were swaying from the effects of the wind. The rustling of the branches and leaves (or pine needles on the pine trees!) was their response to the impact of the wind. It caused me to just begin to praise God for who He is, and what He has done in my life.

I also realized, that if I don't allow myself to be touched by the voice of God, I won't have an opportunity to respond to it. I need to be like those pine trees and stand still long enough that His presence can blow in, out, over, around and through me. I want my life to be a response to His presence, to His work in me and His voice.

Get away. That's what I need to do more frequently. I need to get lost in His word, in His presence....in Him.

1 comment:

Brian Rhodes said...

I wanted to take a moment and say thank you for allowing God to use you. You don't know me but God used you to speak to me. My name is Brian and I'm a Minister of Music at a church in SC. About 1 month ago God moved our Youth Pastor to another church. When all of this started to happen, God began to deal with mine and my wife's heart about taking over this position until our pastor found someone. It's quite a large group (200 kids/30 workers) and has been a lot of work. Anyways, I said all of that to say this......I don't how it happened....well, yes I do, it was God......I was preparing my message for this week and it's on faith. God somehow guided me to your blog entry on Spider Man 2 and the lessons in faith. I think this post was from 2004. Anyways, I'm speaking on faith this Wednesday and I've been praying for God to help me to come up with something that's gonna stick with these kids that they'll actually get. I found it in your blog. Thank you for allowing God to use you. I pray His blessings on you in all you do. Swing by my blog sometime and drop me a line. I'd be glad to hear from you.