Monday, April 28, 2003

Life is short

Today I attended the funeral of a gentleman from our church. I had never met the man himself, but I do know his family. It was amazing to see the number of people who came to show their love and support to the family. This man was surely good and had touched the lives of many.

As I sat there through the funeral, looking at some of my own family in attendance, I began to think about life and death, how we deal with it and how would I be dealing with it if my father were the one being buried today. I realized that too often, I don't tell those around me how much I appreciate them. How much I love and cherish them. Even those folks who get on my nerves have some impact on my life - do I look for the good in them and encourage that goodness? Have I given praise where praise is due?

I remembered hearing a quote one time that included the phrase "give me the roses while I live". So, I did a search on Google and found the lyrics to this song, written by The Carter Family:
Give Me The Roses While I Live

Wonderful things of folks are said
When they have passed away
Roses adorn the narrow bed
Over the sleeping clay

Give me the roses while I live
Trying to cheer me on
Useless are flowers that you give
After the soul is gone

Let us not wait to do good deeds
Till they have passed away
Now is the time to sow good seeds
While here on earth we stay

Kind words are useless when folks lie
Cold in a narrow bed
Don't wait till death to speak kind words
Now should the words be said.

Recorded 6/17/33 Camden, NJ

I hope that I will remember to let people know how much I love and appreciate them. Life is too short to think I will have time to do that later. We are all just a breath away from passing from this life into the next. I hope you all know I appreciate you. I also hope that you know the One who makes this life worth living and provides real Hope for the future.

My pastor said in his sermon today, that he read where someone said "Write your epitaph while you're young and spend your life living up to it." I imagine if everyone in the world were to write out their epitaph, and then live up to that, this world would be different. Maybe it is a trend we can start.

No comments: