Tuesday, May 13, 2003

The waiting game

I am SO frustrated! Due to some circumstances beyond my control, I won't be able to get my laptop until the end of the month. Aaaggghhh! I'm still getting it - I'm just having to wait another 2 or 3 weeks. Yuck! I am not the most patient person.

Really, though, I should not be surprised by this - it is just a reminder to me that I am not in control. Just this Sunday I asked for prayer that I would learn to be less self-sufficient. You see, I like to have control over my life, but if I'm going to live a life pleasing to God, I can't have control. Too many times I'm sure I've missed out on tremendous blessings because I was trying to manage things. God is really teaching me to trust Him and let Him have control, but I am not doing so gracefully.

In our fellowship on Sunday, my pastor was talking about what makes us a disciple of Christ. He said that a disciple can be measured not by what they have given up, but by what they keep. Ouch! That really hit me between the eyes. The things I've given up in the name of the Lord would make a short list, but what I haven't given up is a much longer list! Control or self-sufficiency is one of those at the top!

Psalm 103:8-17 gives me hope:
The LORD is merciful and gracious; he is slow to get angry and full of unfailing love. He will not constantly accuse us, nor remain angry forever. He has not punished us for all our sins, nor does he deal with us as we deserve. For his unfailing love toward those who fear him is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth. He has removed our rebellious acts as far away from us as the east is from the west. The LORD is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him. For he understands how weak we are; he knows we are only dust. Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die. The wind blows, and we are gone – as though we had never been here. But the love of the LORD remains forever with those who fear him. His salvation extends to the children's children of those who are faithful to his covenant, of those who obey his commandments!
I'm glad to know that God is patient and in control.

No comments: