Monday, August 29, 2005

Where were you when the lights went out?

In Wal-Mart!!! How funny!!

Everyone was making their escape from work, fleeing before the winds and rain pound us here in Jackson, Mississippi, and of course, we all had to make that one last stop for necessities. I really did have a mission - toilet paper!!! Who can survive a hurricane without toilet paper?!?! Not 3 girls in one house! [My roommate's sister (our former roommate) is staying with us through the storm.]

Anyway, I was in electronics, trying to find some batteries, when the lights flickered and then went out. You would have thought it was the end of the world for some people....the screams were hilarious!!! Then, the lights came back on and people began rushing around trying to gather all the stuff they came for, when...poof! They were out once again! This time for good.

By that time, I had everything I came for so I began to make my way to the front.

It is interesting to me the way people respond in difficult circumstances. You've probably seen it....people either begin chatting together, forming bonds that would never have happened before, or they stand there, fuming at the circumstances over which they have no control. Fortunately, for the time I was there, most people were being nice and waiting patiently, but I imagine it didn't last.

You might be wondering why we were even standing in line. Well, amazingly, the registers were still running! Several of us joked around saying, "Wal-Mart is gonna make sure they get their money!" It was funny. The sad news is they were running on battery/generator power, and the teller in my line said they wouldn't work for very long. Not too long ago, they announced on the news that this particular Wal-Mart had to close because the power was out.

I'm just glad I made it home safely. It is a crazy day.

No comments: