Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Instant fix

I've come to realize that when I'm in the midst of a struggle, I want God to fix it "right now!" "Get me out of this, God!! It hurts too much!" I'm learning, that it doesn't work that way. Sometimes He wants me to learn something from my experiences.

I read this today in an article from Dr. Charles Stanely on www.crosswalk.com:
It's important that we face and endure the challenges God lays before us. When we seek an early escape, we cheat ourselves of what God wants to do in our lives. In addition, we cheat others of an example of hope and encouragement.

I don't like being uncomfortable. I strongly dislike not knowing how situations will be resolved. I hate it when things don't happen the way I dreamed they would. That's what I get for trying to figure out what God is doing. I can't do that anymore. (But we'll just see how long it takes before I do it again!)

The other thing I'm wrestling with is this - what I feel God is telling me to do (in a particular situation) goes against my natural inclination and the advice of close, trusted friends (not all of them, though). The thing that I want to do would certainly put an end to the situation, but I keep hearing in the back of my mind - what if you find out down the road that it would have been different had you simply waited? Yikes!!!

So the question becomes, am I going to try and "escape" this current challenge or am I going to be willing to wait on God and see what He is trying to accomplish - in me and possibly in the other person?

You see, the one thing that I know without a doubt is that God has been involved in this situation from the very beginning. Yesterday, I was doubting everything I believed He had shown me and even questioned my own ability to hear the voice of God. So today, I had to make a choice - am I going to go by what I see with my eyes or am I really going to trust God?

There are two things He's told me over and over again in the past year: "Do you trust Me?"....yes, God....then, "Be still and know that I am God." So that is what I am going to do. Will it be easy? Looking from where I stand right now - not at all. Will He accomplish something great in it? Without a doubt! The fun will be in watching Him work His will. But when I think that my experiences will benefit someone else - I'm inclined to think it will all be worth it.

No comments: