Sunday, October 19, 2003

Another first

I must say, I do not like getting older! Up until last April, I had never broken a bone in my life, and now within a year and a half, I have broken two!

Today, I broke my finger. And not just any finger. No - due to my injury, I am sure to offend someone because of the stigma attached to a fully extended middle finger. I cannot help it.

"So, Christy, how did you break the aforementioned finger?" I'm sure you're all dying to know. Well, that's what makes this story even better! I told the lady at the ER business office that when I injure myself, I make sure there's an interesting story to go with it, otherwise, what's the point, right?

Anyway, here's what happened: Deedee cooked a fabulous lunch - steak, grilled vegetables and mashed potatoes. (Her boyfriend helped her with the grilling.) Anyway, we were sitting in the living room, eating lunch. Deedee's boyfriend was sitting on the floor. Everyone was tossing my dog the fat and gristle from their steaks, so she was walking the floor, waiting to see what else was coming. Well, James looks away to say something to Deedee, and Sheba walks up and grabs his steak off of his plate. I couldn't believe it! So I scream at Sheba and walk over to her to grab the steak from her. At the same time, I go to pop her on the head, and she moves! So instead of popping Sheba, my hand makes contact with the hardwood floor. After that, I didn't care about the steak, Sheba or anything else. That hurt!!!!! After about an hour, and my finger doubling in size, I decided to go get it checked out.

The good news is, I was in and out of the ER in an hour and a half. The bad news, of course, was that I had fractured my finger. The doc told me I had chipped the bone. Tomorrow, I'm going to try and see an orthopedic doctor to make sure there's not any worse damage. After all, I work on a computer every day and play piano for church. My fingers are precious to me!

So that's the drama of my day. As I sit here working on this entry, I'm getting better at typing. I think I'll make do at work. We'll see how I fare at the piano next Sunday!

No comments: