Sunday, June 08, 2003

If you want to see a good movie...

I just saw the best movie for the second time tonight. "Bruce Almighty" has to be one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. Now I know that a lot of folks will have problems with this movie, and that's ok. If we all saw and did things the same way, it would be a boring world. But if you can get past some of the details, this movie is rich in it's spiritual messages.

Here's the premise of the move: Bruce Nolan is a quirky news reporter (who always ends up doing the everyday, local interest stories) but wants to be an anchor for the evening news. He is unsatisfied with his life and blames God for all the bad things that happen to him. Bruce thinks God's doing a terrible job and says he could do it better - so "God" gives Bruce that chance. I won't say more about the movie so as not to spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it yet. If you're worried that it's blasphemous, it's not. It presents some thought provoking ideas and has several clear messages (you'll have to see the movie to find out what they are!)

Without giving away any plot details, I think one of the best things the movie shows is man's struggle with himself and with God. Bruce is very self-centered, and his perception of God is distorted. As he says "God is like some big kid with a magnifying glass sitting on an anthill and I (Bruce) am an ant." He begins the journey of learning that it's not all about him - the earth does not revolve around Bruce. He comes to realize that even with all of God's powers, he still is unable to satisfy his soul. Bruce finally surrenders himself to God's will. Yes, I know - who would have thought Hollywood would produce a movie like this. It is fantastic! Bruce learns what true love is.

I must say, I was amazed at the overt spiritual messages in this movie. I just have to believe that many people will explore their relationship with God and with others as a result of this film. I know that it was the topic of conversation in my car all the way home from the theater!

Anyway, if you've seen the film, leave a post of your thoughts on the film.

No comments: