Thursday, November 06, 2003

I saw Jesus today.

Have you ever met someone who, without any doubt, is in tune with Christ and His heart? Fortunately for me, I work for one of those people.

Now don't get me wrong, there are days when I'd rather not be at work - usually that's more because of me and my attitude than the people I work with - but there are those days, few and far between though they are, that I just don't want to be in the office.

Putting all that to the side, my boss is one of the few people I have ever known whose heart is truly tuned in to what Christ is doing. In case you don't know, I work for a non-profit sports ministry, so of course, I work in a decidedly Christian environment. I get tickled at my boss, sometimes, for the way he will "corner" people and ask them about what they know of Christ and whether or not they have a relationship with Him. Usually when he does that, and I'm around, I think to myself "man, I could not do that!" and then proceed to justify myself with some mumbled thoughts of "you can't force the Word on people" or "I think you should build a relationship first. People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." The fact remains, Bill is willing to share Christ - no matter what. Wow!

Well, he did it again today. A woman called our office looking for some financial assistance. She had lost a child a month or so ago and also lost her job, so she can't pay her rent or utilities this month. I talked with her for a minute and was, of course, skeptical that she was telling the truth. So, I put her on hold and then went to tell Bill about her. He paused a moment and before he picked up the phone told me I could stay in there and listen. As I was sitting there listening to his conversation over the speakerphone, I was simply amazed. He started out asking for some specific information from her: name, address, phone, last few places she worked, etc. Then, he does what he's good at, and began to ask her about her faith and relationship with Christ.

As I sat there, I began to think of the verse in the Bible where Peter was walking into the Temple and passed by the crippled man begging at the temple gate. He looked intently at the man and said:

"Look at us! I don't have any money for you, but I'll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, get up and walk!" Acts 3:4-6

Peter wasn't concerned with giving the man money to make it another day. His concern, besides bringing glory to Jesus, was to meet the deeper need of this man. He saw an opportunity to give this man something more valuable than money to meet one day's needs. Peter gave him something that would last through eternity.

I was convicted for all the times I had helped people without first talking with them about their eternal soul. What does giving money or a helping hand or even "being a friend" do for someone who is walking the thin line between eternal life and eternal hell? Every day we encounter people who just need to know that there is a God in heaven who loved them so much, He gave His Son to die so that they could know Him intimately.

The rest of the story is this - Bill walked this woman through several scriptures in the Bible and just shared Christ with her. She prayed a prayer of confession and repentance and gave her life to Christ! Just like that! It was beautiful. Now that her soul's need has been met, we get to work on the other needs she has.

She's coming to the office tomorrow to meet me and hopefully one of the other guys in the office (since Bill won't be here.) We're working on helping her with finding a job and meeting the financial needs she has, so if you think about it, say a prayer.

No comments: