Tuesday, March 11, 2003

I was standing in McAlister's (waiting for my lunch) and looking out their huge picture window just enjoying the sunshine and blue skies. I don't know about the rest of you, but last week, I was on the edge of going "postal" should the sun not show it's glorious self any time soon. I was a bit surprised at this, because I've never been affected by the weather like that. Fortunately for me, and whoever could have received the brunt of my frustration, the sun came out. Anyway, I was just thanking the Lord for the sunshine and asking Him to help me not take for granted the small things in life, when out of nowhere, the following scripture came to mind: "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, whose thoughts are fixed on you!" Isaiah 26:3 (NLT) Now, when this verse came to mind, I heard it in the classic King James (Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee) so I came back to the office and looked up other translations. I like the New Living Translation (which I quoted) and found the following commentary from Matthew Henry:

Thou wilt keep him in peace, peace, in perfect peace, inward peace, outward peace, peace with God, peace of conscience, peace at all times, under all events; this peace shall he be put into, and kept in the possession of, whose mind is stayed upon God, because it trusts in him. It is the character of every good man that he trusts in God, puts himself under his guidance and government, and depends upon him that it shall be greatly to his advantage to do so. Those that trust in God must have their minds stayed upon him, must trust him at all times, under all events, must firmly and faithfully adhere to him, with an entire satisfaction in him; and such as do so God will keep in perpetual peace, and that peace shall keep them. When evil tidings are abroad those shall calmly expect the event, and not be disturbed by frightful apprehensions arising from them, whose hearts are fixed, trusting in the Lord, Ps. 112:7. 2.

Now, if you are like me, trusting God is an ongoing struggle. I try to keep my mind focused on God and thoughts of His goodness and faithfulness, but I seem to always get distracted. Like last week. The gray clouds distracted me from rejoicing that no matter what, the SON was still shining! I let my circumstances (the never-ending gray clouds and rain) draw me away from remembering all the things God has done and is doing in me and in the lives of those around me. Look at what Matthew Henry says again: "When evil tidings are abroad those (whose minds and thoughts are fixed on God) shall calmly expect the event, and not be disturbed by frightful apprehensions arising from them..." Wow. That brings to mind another scripture - "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you." (1 Peter 4:12) How many of us calmly expect evil tidings and fiery trials?!?!? I go crazy when people cut me off in traffic!

Whatever direction your week is taking - keep your mind and thoughts trained on God. Easy to say - hard to do. I know. I was there last week, and will probably be there again some day. But - I want to encourage you. Isn't that what the Bible tells us to do? Be strong, trust in God, think on those things that are good. When your mind is focused on God, you will have "perfect peace". Amazing.

Just so you know - I knew all of this in the midst of my gloom and doom last week. I knew that if I were to just put some praise music on, I would not (and could not) stay in that dark place. If I had surrounded myself with His things, (reading His words to me, listening for His voice, etc.) I would have had peace and calm...and hope. I didn't do it because I was too focused on "me". Well, maybe next time, I will actually do what I know to do and keep my mind focused on God - no matter what.

No comments: