Monday, March 24, 2003

Why am I here?

I am reading a really good book right now: "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. I'm terrible about starting these kinds of books (it is a daily devotional) and not staying on track. I started it last Monday, and am only on Day 2. *grin*

Anyway, I finally made it to Chapter 2 today and read the title "You are not an accident." Wow. I wonder how many people feel that way about their lives. I know that I have wondered why on earth I am here. What was God thinking when He made me? Sometimes I feel like all I do is mess up, take His Grace and Mercy for granted and lose ground in my relationship with Him. Not to mention, the struggle I sometimes have with why I made the choices I did in school and career paths.

The Bible tells me that God "formed my inward parts. He wove me in my mother's womb....I am fearfully and wonderfully made...His eyes have seen my unformed substance; in His book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet, there were not one of them." Psalm 139:13-16 Can you believe it? The creator of all heaven and earth knit me together in my mother's womb. In Jeremiah, God says "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you.." (1:5) When I was just a "twinkle in my parent's eyes", He knew me.

If that isn't humbling, I don't know what is. What strikes me most about that scripture in Psalms is the part that says "His eyes have seen my unformed substance." God knows all the areas that I need work on. All my faults and failures - He knew before I was created that I would make them. Now, He could have stopped "Me" from happening any time He wanted to, but He didn't. He has a purpose for me. Even with all my faults and failures. I'm so glad He is a God of love and mercy. I'm so glad to know that He knows me. I want to know Him like that, too.

In parting, I want to share a poem that was included in the chapter. It just was such a blessing to me. Should I ever get married and have children, I will want to be sure they know it. The poem is by Russell Kelfer and says this:

You are who you are for a reason.
You're part of an intricate plan.
You're a precious and perfect unique design,
Called God's special woman or man.

You look like you look for a reason.
Our God made no mistake.
He knit you together within the womb,
You're
just what he wanted to make.

The parents you had were the ones he chose,
And no matter how you may feel,
They were custom designed with God's plan in mind,
And they bear the Master's seal.

No, that trauma you faced was not easy.
And God wept that it hurt you so;
But it was allowed to shape your heart
So that into his likeness you'd grow.

You are who you are for a reason,
You've been formed by the Master's rod.
You are who you are, beloved,
Because there is a God!

I just love that. I think if everyone knew that, this world would be a different place. Remember, "You are who you are for a reason . . ." I hope you will take time to learn what that reason is!

No comments: