Saturday, March 15, 2003

On a different note...

A conversation I had with a friend the other day got me to thinking about something. We were discussing a relationship situation this person is in, and after offering advice (like I'm such an expert) it got me to thinking about my relationship with God. I mean, if I can't get my relationship with God right, how will I ever get it right with another person?

Anyway, I began to ponder the following thought: how many times have I been so focused on getting something from God (i.e., having a situation turn out the way I want it to) and totally missed another blessing or gift He has waiting for me? I probably don't want to know.

I can just imagine this scenario: I'm working hard, giving all I have to make a situation happen in exactly the way I want it to - to get the result or "prize" I want - and God is just standing behind me, gently calling my name, trying to turn my attention to the "Grand Prize" He has waiting for me. I'm killing myself to get something that means nothing - when all along, He is standing there with the best way...the best answer...the best blessing. The thing (or person) He has handpicked for me. It's like striving to obtain a box that contains a measly $1,000 when I could have the box that contains $1,000,000,000. How arrogant of me to think I know what is best for me. Hah.

I know why this happens . . . I forget to keep my eyes on the One who knows my future and begin to focus on the here and now and what I can do for myself. In essence, I put too much faith in me. Sheesh. You'd think I'd know better by know. Well, at this minute, I do - tomorrow is a whole 'nother story!

I'm just glad that God is still there, gently calling me. He is such a gentleman. I'm working on tuning into His voice so I don't miss all the blessings He has for me.

No comments: