Thursday, March 27, 2003

It's been a long week.

I am pooped! AND tired of moving! I started the week out helping a friend move; then, my office expanded into the space next door, so I had to move my stuff from my old office to my new office, blah, blah, blah . . . anyway, as I said, it's been a long week!

In the midst of all of that, I've been wanting to take time to really be in the Word and LISTEN to what God is speaking to me. Unfortunately, true to form, I haven't even cracked open my Bible or spent much time in prayer (other than praying for some requests several friends of mine had.) And you know what - it is showing! My attitude has really been stinking! Does anyone else have this problem?

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I am not perfect. I find myself struggling to do those things I know I should and to NOT do those things I shouldn't! Man, I tell you what - I totally understand Paul's words where he said "I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I don't do it." Romans 7:15 You may be familiar with this passage - Paul goes on to tell of his struggle: he wants to do the right thing, but instead he does the wrong thing, etc., etc. I'm so glad to know that the mightiest men (and women!) of the Bible were real people. Here we see a "Super-man" of the faith dealing with something we all experience.

The thing of it is, when we try to deal with sin in our own strength, we end up on a see-saw of emotion and guilt. It seems like all we can focus on is our failure and struggle. (At least I do!) As Christians our real struggle is with what has control of our minds. Romans 8:6 says "If your sinful nature controls your mind, there is death. But if the Holy Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace." Notice that the scripture acknowledges our sinful nature. I know I've been burdened with guilt in the past because I thought I shouldn't even be struggling with sin. What a relief to know that nothing is wrong with me! This is what Paul meant when he said he "dies daily." I have to wrestle that sinful nature to the ground and put it to death on a daily basis so that the Holy Spirit will have control. That is my struggle. That is what I have failed to do this week. Lord help me!

No comments: