Sunday, August 10, 2003

Can I take another vacation?

Good grief! I go back to work tomorrow after a week's vacation, and I think I'm more tired now than when I started this vacation! What a week!

Yesterday, my brother got a phone call from my roommate (who's boyfriend drives a Harley and is a member of the motorcycle minstry at our church). They were out riding and had two bikes break down about an hour and a half outside of town. The national president (who lives here in town and was with them) had a trailer that could haul both bikes, but they needed someone to come get them - which meant they also needed another car to haul passengers. So my brother and I head out about 2:45 to get the trailer (he's in his truck and I'm in my car) and actually get on the road to get our friends about 3:15. It was a really pretty ride up to get them. I was wishing I had my own motorcycle! We got there around 4:45 and then got back on the road home around 5:45. It was fun, but it also made for a very long day!

Everyone was so appreciative of us coming to get them, but I can't imagine not doing what we did. I guess I've just always been that way - if someone needs help, I'll do what I can to help them. From time to time, this helpfulness gets me in trouble. Sometimes, God is trying to work something out in a person's life and I'll step in and interfere by "helping" them out of a sticky situation. I'm learning to be a bit more cautious with my desire to help someone. But this one thing I know (and those close to me have heard this thousands of times!) "Freely you have received, freely give." Jesus was telling that to the disciples right before he sent them out to preach the gospel. (Matthew 10)

Everything I have and everything I am is because of Him! Every material thing I have, every talent or ability I have was given to me by my Father in Heaven. How could I not share what I have? Mind you, this lesson has not been easily learned. In fact, I'm still learning it. But if Jesus can give up Heaven and being in the presence of His Father to come to earth and die for me, I have no right to hold on to anything I have here on earth.

That's just what was on my mind, so I thought I'd share. Hope you all are having a wonderful day!

No comments: