Wednesday, August 13, 2003

They grow up so fast

My niece, Hannah, started kindergarten today. She handled it better than the rest of us, I think. :)

My other niece and nephew were at home with their mom, so I went and picked up a couple of Happy Meals and had lunch with them. My niece, Mackenzie, was taking this whole school thing a little hard. "My miss Hannah," she says as I walk in the door. She was feeling a bit left out, so I wanted to do something special just for her (and Nathaniel too!)

Anyway, we're eating lunch and we start talking about why I came and brought lunch.

"Kiki wanted to do something special for you because Hannah went to school today." My sister-in-law reminds Mackenzie.

"Right, I brought you lunch because I knew you would be missing Hannah."

"My still miss Hannah!" says Mackenzie in her cute 3 year old voice, letting me know that the food was great, but her sister was still not there!

I about fell out of my chair! That was the sweetest thing I've heard in a long time.

As for Nathaniel, as soon as he finished his Happy Meal and got his toy, he was good to go. Boys just deal with this kind of stuff differently, I guess.

Anyway, they enjoyed their meal and I enjoyed spending time with them. I will admit, though, it was strange not having Hannah around, too. The three of them are almost a package deal. At the very least, Hannah and Mackenzie are usually together.

I just don't know what I would do if I had kids!

No comments: