Sunday, March 21, 2004

Home at last!

I am finally home to sleep in my own bed! Hallelujah!!! For the past 3 nights, I've been house/dog-sitting for my friend who went out of town. When we made the arrangements for me to do this, I did not expect to have the kind of weekend that I had.

First of all, a beloved member of our church passed away and his funeral was on Saturday. Our worship team was asked to sing at the funeral, so I had to get up early Saturday morning, come home to get ready and then go to the funeral. Saturday night I had a babysitting job. It was just an incredibly busy weekend.

I was already a little stressed. Of course it's my own fault.

After talking with my pastor and the worship team director (who also happens to be the pastor's wife!), we came to the realization that our music has been in a rut. We're in the process of working in some new material, and I volunteered to try and pick out some new stuff. We're looking to add more up-tempo music to our repertoire.

My problem is I am too much of a "perfectionist" at times. Everything has to be just right...or so I think. Sometimes I get too bogged down in getting everything "together" when I should just jump in and figure it out as I go. I think I may have to do that here. One thing that is stressing me out is the realization that I don't know many up-tempo, lively songs that would be appropriate for congregational singing. This means I'm going to have to do some work.

After talking with the pastor and his wife last week, I realized God is wanting to stretch me in my walk of faith again. When it comes to music and worshipping Him, I've gotten lazy. I've been maintaining the "status quo" and it's time to move to another level. The whole idea scares me. Mainly because I don't know how to go to the next level, but also because I don't know what that will mean for me and my life. What does going to the next level look like? What is He going to require of me? I guess that's where I need to kick my faith into high gear and continuously seek God for direction. Another area of my life that He is working on. :)

Oh well, we will see what happens. I want to be faithful in this area of my life because not only will it impact my life, but it will impact a whole congregation of believers. Yikes!

So anyway, that is another reason I'll be staying home this week. I need some time to focus and get into some new music. Needless to say, it should prove to be an interesting week. We'll see which part of me wins out...the part that wants to please God and do His will or the part of me that just wants to do nothing. Pray for me!

No comments: