Friday, February 27, 2004

Bits and pieces

Just wanted to post a few thoughts about a few things.

I didn't get the job at Old Navy. In fact, they never called me for a second interview. I'm sure it is a God thing. Fortunately, I have some other opportunities opening up: babysitting jobs (although a little thin right now) always seem to come up at the right time and now I'm embarking on computer tutoring. I have one couple that have me on retainer, so to speak. :) The husband upgraded his iMac and bought his wife an iBook, so I'll be helping him learn shortcuts and tricks with his software and her to learn how to get around on the internet and check her email. This could lead to other jobs as they attend a really large church and are among a circle of people who would own computers and need some home tutoring. I'm excited! God always makes a way. He is truly awesome!

Speaking of babysitting, I had a job tonight that turned bad. The mother of this little girl we (my roommates and I) keep regularly called this afternoon to see if I could keep her. I told her no problem, I was going to my brother's to help with some computer stuff but that it was ok for her girl to go with me. (My brother has 3 kids her age, so I knew they would play.) Anyway, the mother was supposed to come at 9pm to get her daughter. At around 10pm, I called the number she had given me earlier (which turned out to be a wrong number). At 11pm, I called this woman's boyfriend (who lives with her). Unfortunately, he was at work but said he would either find the woman or come and get the child himself. Well, at midnight, the mother screeches into the driveway. She was probably 10 sheets to the wind. I could smell her when I opened the door.

So, she comes in and begins to ask me why I called her boyfriend. So I told her - she was supposed to be there at 9pm, it was now midnight and I had to work in the morning. She was all bowed up, like she was mad (probably because her butt got chewed by her boyfriend) and told me she would not be calling us again. "Y'all are just.....something," she says. Anyway, she goes to pick her daughter up and I tried to grab her, telling her I didn't think it was a good idea for her to be driving. She told me not to tell her what to do, and I didn't put up a fight. I now wish I had. I could have punched that woman! How can people be so careless!!!! I know the answer to that.....she needs Jesus. I would have loved to "lay hands" on that woman. As I said, I wish I had put up a fight, but what do you do? Who wants to be a troublemaker and divide a family? Knowing what I do about this family, they are already screwed up and they really do need Jesus. I keep thinking that maybe we can impact their lives in some way. Who knows?

I called her house to see if they had made it home safely. I guess I didn't allow enough time, because she didn't answer. That, or she just wasn't answering the phone. I do care about these people. After I got over being really mad and worried, I pondered what Jesus thought when He reached out to people in need. I'm not Him, but I sure want to be like Him. Maybe kindness will keep the door open to ministering to this family. Only God really knows.

So that's what was on my mind at the moment. Still lots of thinking going on about "The Passion of The Christ". I was talking to a friend tonight who saw it twice yesterday!!! It was neat to talk with him about the movie. We both came away with similar thoughts about it. I want to go see it again, to see if there was anything I missed. As I mentioned in my post yesterday, that is the most thought provoking film I've ever seen. I like those kinds of movies.

I'm off to bed. One more day in this work week and we'll be able to file it in the "history" box. :) Later!

No comments: