Friday, February 13, 2004

Single Awareness Day

A very good friend of mine (hope your surgery goes well Tiffany!) corrected me in a conversation we were having the other day. I was asking her what her plans for Valentine's Day were and she promptly said..."Well, for Single Awareness Day, I'll be recovering from sinus surgery..."

It took me a moment to realize what she had said, but as soon as it registered, I began to laugh.

In spite of the humor, I understood her "pain". Valentine's Day does tend to leave us Blessed Singles out. Advertisements everywhere remind all the gentlemen to load up on gifts, flowers and chocolates for their "special someone". Christmas is barely over before you see the pink and red hearts of Valentine's displays.

To me it is truly just another day. I won't say I've never been jealous of others and what the day represents, but it really is just another day. In fact, I've told friends that even if I was married, I don't think I'd want to celebrate the day. My thinking is this - if my sweetheart doesn't show his love for me throughout the year (and not just by getting me "stuff") then he certainly doesn't need to bother for Valentine's Day. Heck - he gets a three month reminder! Anyone can remember to give a gift on Valentine's Day! I want him to do special things for me when I least expect it! Is that asking too much?

Anyway, for this Valentine's Day, I get the privilege of playing the piano for my cousin's wedding. You have to admit it is kind of sweet to be getting married on the day that celebrates love. Side note: this isn't my first Valentine wedding to play for - I had a roommate get married on Valentine's Day about (oh my gosh can it be?) 9 years ago.

It will be a simple wedding and I know it will be pretty. I hope she is happy. More importantly, I hope I don't screw it up for her by messing up while playing!!! I always get nervous! I can play all day for church or a prayer service, but you put me in front of a crowd and ask me to play wedding music.....it's a whole different ball game!

Well, time to hit the hay. For those of you who read this blog and have a significant other - I hope you take time to tell that person how much they are loved. For the rest of you - my fellow Blessed Singles - have a great weekend and know that there is Someone who loves you more than you can know or imagine!

No comments: