Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Changes

Life is full of changes. Of that I'm certain. They come in all shapes and sizes: expected, unexpected, turn-your-world-upside-down, make-your-world-right, they bring great joy or great sorrow, they hurt, feel good.....we all know about change.

The thing is, when change happens...things change. "Well, duh!" you might say, but have you ever really thought about it? I mean, look at some of these definitions:

  1. To cause to be different.
  2. To give a completely different form or appearance to; transform.
  3. To exchange for or replace with another, usually of the same kind or category.
  4. To lay aside, abandon, or leave for another; switch places.
  5. To transfer from (one conveyance) to another.
  6. To put a fresh covering on.

So, considering all these definitions, how do you deal with change? When it is the type of change that is unexpected or causes great pain, what do you do? What about change that is necessary, but still hurts? I could go on and on with different scenarios, but I'm sure you get the point.

The thing is, change always impacts more than one person. Even if the change taking place is within a person (i.e., they repent and give their life to Christ) it still impacts those around them. For instance, they no longer go out and "party" with the crowd because there's been a "change" in their heart. John Donne, poet and clergyman, once wrote: "No man is an island, entire of itself." Simple, but very profound. I think we all tend to forget that our actions will always affect someone else. That, in itself, is not necessarily a bad thing. It's just a very real fact of life.

I have a friend dealing with some change in her life, and yes, it impacts me and other friends of ours. Each of us, in our own way, will work through the process of dealing with this change, but I know God will work things out. He has promised that in His Word. In the meantime, I will walk with her through this change and try to help in any way I can. One of my all-time favorite scriptures is 1 Corinthians 2:9, which says, "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love Him." I can't wait to see how it all turns out!

No comments: