Thursday, January 15, 2004

Confessing sin

I found this great article on confessing sin. Here is an excerpt:
Many Christians, including yours truly, struggle with admitting sins. We know our heavenly parent sees all, yet we act as if we can hide sins from Him. We know He loves us with an everlasting love, yet we choose to believe He could never forgive us. We simply don’t want to talk about it, preferring to ignore our sins. King David, in Psalm 32, indicates that ignoring our sins is detrimental to our health and vitality. David attests to the liberating power of confession in verses 2-5: "When I refused to confess my sin, I was weak and miserable, and I groaned all day long. Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me. My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. Finally I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide them. I said to myself, ‘I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.’ And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone." David exclaims, "Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of sin, whose lives are lived in complete honesty!"
I don't know about you, but this is one of those things I struggle with. Like I said in my previous post, I don't want to admit when I'm wrong or when I've goofed up, or even when I need help. And yet, it's just like the author describes in her article - Jesus just wants us to confess so that He can get on with the business of cleaning us up so we can go on with our lives.

What an awesome God we serve!

No comments: