Monday, January 19, 2004

A day off!

I'm so excited to have a day off! *happy sigh* We're about to get into a really busy stretch at work, so it's nice to have this kind of day thrown in there.

I had three of my brother's four kids spend the night with me last night and they just left! I love my nieces and nephew, but whenever I start to have a pity party about not being married or having kids, I just load my brother's kids up and spend some quality time with them! Then, I'm thankful I'm single!! Really though, I love those kids and they are awesome....especially when they say, "Kiki...(that's what they call me!), I love you! I love you this much..." and then they'll stretch their arms wide and grin at me. However, I've noticed a pattern for this behavior from them...it comes about the time they're getting in trouble for something.....hmmmmm. :) Just kidding! :)

Now I've got the rest of the day to start working on some projects I've decided need to get done. First of all, I've got to organize my books! I have a bunch.....most of which, I've not read! So, to help me get my "list" of "books to read" in order, I've got to organize them. I'm going to organize them by type of book and then author. I'll probably create a database of all the books I have, just to help me keep up with them.

The other project I have in mind is to organize my cd's! I have a ton of those as well that are scattered among several different cases. In addition to those, I have a bunch of new ones I've acquired over the past year that need to be integrated with my old ones. I'll probably create a list of those as well.

Those are just a couple of projects I have in mind.

I know I sound like a freak with all this organizing and list making....but this is going to help me in several ways. The most obvious benefit of organizing these things is that it will help me straighten my bookcases and put things in their rightful place. I have several stacks of books and cd's that need a home.

Secondly, when my "stuff" is disorganized, it's a good sign that "me" is disorganized. My room is a direct reflection of what's going on within me. It's very strange how this works. I've noticed I can help keep the rest of the house clean and straightened out, but it is a struggle to clean my room. Same thing with me....I can keep up the outward appearances while inside I'm in turmoil. Interesting, huh? Cool thing is this...I've been cleaning my room! Slowly, but surely. :)

And finally, the other reason for organizing these things is to help me stay on a budget. "What?" I know, doesn't make sense at first glance, but let me explain. When I get these thing organized, I will then have a list of books and cd's that I haven't read or listened to. So, the next time I feel an urge to spend some money, simply because I want something to do....I will have these lists from which to pull for entertainment! Make sense? I've realized that I sometimes spend money, simply because I'm bored. Crazy....I know! So, in an effort to be a better steward of what God has given me, I'm going to provide myself with a way to avoid impulse spending. (Besides staying away from stores!)

So, with all that said...I guess I'd better get to work! I've got a water aerobics class at 4:45, so I've only got a little bit of time!

No comments: